Foreign Affairs Consulting Services

Foreign Affairs Consulting Services

Tel: 1.647.282.2451

Toll Free:1.866.334.3807

Fax: 587.254.7118

Live-in Caregiver Program


Every year thousands of young women and some men come to Canada to work as Live-in Caregivers. This program provides the opportunity to become a landed immigrant in Canada after one year of service. Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.


To work as a live-in caregiver in Canada, you must make an application to the Live-In Caregiver Program. If your application is successful, you will receive a work permit.


If you want to work as a live-in caregiver in the province of Quebec, you must obtain a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (certificate of acceptance).


Eligibility requirements of the Live-in Caregiver Program include:

  • successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school
  • at least six months of full-time classroom training or at least one year of work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation within the last three years, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer
  • the ability to speak, read and understand English or French so that they can function on their own in an unsupervised setting
  • passing medical, security and criminal clearances
  • a signed written employment contract with an employer in Canada